Development and Communications Department Summer Internship
Development and Communications Department Internship
The Neighborhood Coalition or Shelter (NCS) is dedicated to providing housing and support that can transform lives and to working with community partners to reduce, prevent and ultimately end homelessness.
NCS seeks a smart and dedicated intern in the Development and Communications department for a summer unpaid internship (credit or non-credit) at our offices near Wall Street. All college study disciplines are welcome; Communication and Marketing are a plus. A minimum of two days per week of availability is requested.
You will help NCS communicate with and assist donors and volunteers while gaining valuable office and professional skills, including: teamwork, project management, nonprofit fundraising and communications experience, CRM database management, volunteer engagement, and leveraging our social networks and other online vehicles to expand a support base and raise awareness.
What you will get to do:
- Assist in the maintenance and posting of content to NCS's social networking sites.
- Assist with the creation of supporting content to be published on our website.
- Create electronic newsletters, write stories and secure photos.
- Monitor social networking strategies in the nonprofit industry, report on trends and best practices.
- Monitor news sites and social media for articles and postings connected to our work.
- Assist in creating and executing offline outreach strategies for a younger population.
- Assist with preparation and execution of live special events, including promotion.
- Assist with administration of donor appreciation letters and other communications.
- Help update and maintain the donor database.
- Assist with volunteer engagement online and offline.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we need from you:
- Willingness to learn about NCS programs that serve homeless and formerly homeless individuals and sensitivity to the issues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel; Google and other online research.
- Ability to apply social media skills for professional purposes.
- Reliable attendance.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to respond well to guidance and supervision, coupled with the ability to work independently and in a team.
This is an unpaid internship but it will provide valuable work related experience
How to Apply:
Please send to your resume and a cover note describing: A.) your professional goals for the internship, B.) how you personally connect to our mission, and C.) the dates, days and times of your availability for the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org